To make healthy and delicious food you need healthy and delicious ingredients! If you have good quality ingredients on hand you will be able to make super simple dishes since the ingredients already taste so good. Try to buy organic when you can afford it. Also try to cook as much as possible from scratch, as this almost always is cheaper and healthier than buying processed foods.
Below is a list of my absolute favourite ingredients for delicious and colourful breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks. I try to have these foods in my kitchen most of the time because they always make me feel inspired to cook.
- Rolled oats.
- Canned beans and chickpeas.
- Crushed tomatoes.
- Coconut milk.
- Raisins and dried figs.
- Brown rice, quinoa and buckwheat.
- Pastas and noodles.
- Dried lentils and beans.
- Homemade or store-bought granola and muesli.
- Raw cacao powder, vanilla powder or vanilla extract and whole-grain flours.
- Coconut oil and olive oil.
- Green teas, black teas and herbal teas.
- Coconut sugar.
- Spices: Salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, curry, turmeric, oregano, basil, bay leaves, cinnamon, ginger…
- Greens: Kale, spinach, broccoli etc.
- Other veggies (depending on season): Cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, fennel, beets, zucchini, garlic etc.
- Fruit (depending on season): Apples, oranges, kiwi fruit, clementines, peaches, nectarines, grapes, fresh dates, lemons, limes, watermelon etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Walnuts, almonds, coconut chips, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds etc.
- Nut butters.
- Flaxseed oil.
- Non-dairy milks. My favourite is oat milk.
- Maple syrup or coconut syrup.
- Apple cider vinegar and tamari.
- Home-made hummus.
- Olives and sun-dries tomatoes.
- Leftovers from dinner to be eaten as lunches.
- Frozen blueberries and raspberries.
- Home-made energy balls or other healthy sweets.
- Frozen veggies like kale and spinach.
- Frozen bananas.
- Whole-grain bread.
- Frozen leftover stews and sauces.
- Frozen pre-chopped herbs.
- Avocados and bananas.
- Fresh herbs like basil and thyme.